Friday, September 2, 2011

Called to Serve

Last year, I was one of the first people in our new ward to be called into the bishop's office to receive my new calling.  I was excited.  I figured going so early meant that it must be something big and--as nerdy as it might be--I was excited to get my second real calling (I don't really think that YW pianist and Mia Maid president for a few months counts) . . . because as we all know, I kinda like responsibilities.

So I sat down with the bishop in his "office" (Provo/BYU wards don't really have set offices) and listened as he debriefed me on the importance and significance of my calling and saying that I was highly recommended for it.  I first wondered who they would call for recommendations, and then decided that it must be a pretty big deal.

He looked me straight in the eye and said, "We would like for you to be our ward greeter."

Yeah.  I know.  It was awesome, but I was laughing all the way home.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about last year (because that is so last year).  I'm actually writing because I received my new calling last night.  And guess what it is?
Secretary of the Friendship Council.

As I asked the chair what that entailed, he said, "Oh just do break the fast, nice notes, and one of us will need to be a ward greeter." 

So I guess I obviously didn't learn what I needed to from my calling last year.  But hey, if you're in need of a pick-me-up, come on down to Provo any Sunday and I will be there with a bright smile and a program (and occasionally candy) in hand.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

hahahahahahaha this seriously made my day! too funny! it's ok, I got called to be enrichment leader.... you can help me think of fun crafts

anna said...

Yes please haha, I would love that. I even put down on my little pre-calling sheet that I love crafts and I love teaching. W.

jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mallory Bell said...

I LOVE this anna. I know exactly how you feel, I was just called to be the ward compassionate service leader and its been really hard for me! I bet you are just the cutest little greeter in all of P-town.